What's happening in the world of spam?
- Monday is the busiest day of the week for email spam, Saturday is the quietest
- 12:00 (GMT) is the busiest hour of the day for spam, 23:00 (GMT) is the quietest
- Malicious bots have increased at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 378% since Project Honey Pot started
- Over the last five years, you’d have been 9 times more likely to get a phishing message for Chase Bank than Bank of America, however Facebook is rapidly becoming the most phished organization online
- Finland has some of the best computer security in the world, China some of the worst
- It takes the average spammer 2 and a half weeks from when they first harvest your email address to when they send you your first spam message, but that’s twice as fast as they were five years ago
- Every time your email address is harvested from a website, you can expect to receive more than 850 spam messages
- Spammers take holidays too: spam volumes drop nearly 21% on Christmas Day and 32% on New Year’s Day
Courtesy of Project Honey Pot.